[Geysers] Rainbow Springs question

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Wed Mar 21 17:08:10 PDT 2007

Where are the oil springs at Norris?

While the issue is up, it is worth noting that iron oxide minerals will also
give water an oily sheen.  You can tell whether the sheen is really oil by
dragging a twig across the surface of the water.  If the sheen breaks up into
cakes, it is iron-based, but if it swirls around the twig without breaking up,
it is oil.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu