[Geysers] Geyser report June 27

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 15:05:37 PDT 2007

Today I finally got a chance to look at the video of the eruption that was
reported as being Morning Geyser back on May 13. The video was shot from
immediately in front of Spasm. Creating a sight-line in my mind's eye, I then  went
out there to take a look. My opinion -- the eruption was of Morning's  Thief.
Kelli English said she'd make a copy of the video for me, so I'm not  nailing
the coffin just yet, but....... the line from Spasm to Morning's Thief
passes through the right side of Morning's crater so as before, confusion is
understandable.

Last evening, Grotto Fountain started at 1933. Grotto waited for 1948, and  I
believe I was told that its duration was around 40 minutes (could be wrong on
 that). Presumably, there was another short eruption after that -- though
perhaps  not, too. The appearance of the Giant Platform at dawn implied no hot
period in  a few hours, so maybe the system again acted as if there had been a
marathon  when there actually hadn't been.

Anyhow, today Grotto Fountain was at 0632 and Grotto started at 0644. This
has turned out to be a marathon, as it was still vigorously underway after noon
 when Bijou was effectively dead.

There were Giant hot periods at 0627, 0735 (d = 4m 21s), 0840 (d = 1m 40s)
and 1000 (d = 5m 39s; Feather restart at 1009, d ~ 2 1/2m, with some Giant
surging). That was it.

Artemisia 0830ie.

Fan and Mortar in garbage mode at about 0800.

Riverside 0843.

Daisy 0800ie and 1020.

Oblong 0603 and 1042.

Grand 0601 and 1228 (1 burst).

Castle had a minor at 0147E and another minor at 0633. The major finally
took place at 1246.

Beehive's Indicator was called at 1137 and Beehive erupted at 1143, for an
interval longer than 3 1/2 days.

There was a Lion at 1113 that I think was the initial. It erupted again at
1226 (minor), 1302 (minor) and (I think at) 1328 when I was in the VC.

Old Faithful was active today.

Fountain was 0515ie and 1130ie.

Three comments, the first of which will probably irk some people:

1. Bike rack. Today it was nearly impossible to park and lock bicycles at
the bike racks in front of the lower station. They were not only full, but had
bikes additionally fastened to the open ends. I know one bike has been there
unmoved for at least 6 weeks, another has been there for well over a month and
 at least four others for 2-3 weeks at least. The rack ought to be available
to people who are actually using their bikes, not as long term  storage. If
you can pack it in, you can pack it out.

2. At about 1330, the East Parking Lot was full, with cars circling looking
for a parking spot. The West Lot was full most of the way toward the Ranger
Station. And at 1400 all sorts of vehicles were parked illegally at FPP.

3. A tour guide at Fountain, from Lone Mountain Ranch.
a. That is actually Spasm Geyser, not Clepsydra.
b. Question: When does it [Fountain] erupt? Answer: Nobody knows.