[Geysers] Visitor report of Morning/Fountain dual on 6/19

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 06:45:06 PDT 2007

THIS POST IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THE LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER REASON, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

I was in the Lower Basin before 6:15 on 6/19 and I was at Fountain the late morning and early afternoon.  Fountain had a long interval that morning.  I had started logging steam clouds at 9:15, at first thinking the steam cloud was the start of Fountain, but when the steam clouds lasted only a minute, I realized it couldn't be Fountain, so thought maybe it was Jet.  Jim Holstein alerted me that these were independent eruptions of Morning's Thief.  Ralph Taylor was at Fountain.  Later I compared the times of my "Jet" sightings and they matched with the times of Ralph's observations of Morning's Thief.  As soon as Great Fountain started, I went over to Fountain, timed some additional eruptions of Morning's Thief before it started just boiling up to 4 to 6 to 9 feet every 5 minutes, then every 3 minutes, then about every minute, (as Scott posted when he posted on the events at Fountain on 6/19.)  I entered my observations of Jet, Spasm, Super Frying Pan, Clepsydra, Twig, and Bearclaw in the logbook on the morning of June 20.  (The Fountain start time had already been entered into the log.)  I've also entered the times for Morning's Thief into the logbook.

The eruptions of Morning's Thief can be quite impressive.  They can send a lot of water down the east runoff channel toward the road.  The massive bursts from Morning's Thief are angled over toward Morning so that it looks like there is white water over Morning.  But it's water coming down into Morning from Morning's Thief rather than water coming up from Morning. Without being in position to see the pool from which the eruption is coming, it is very easy to mistakenly identify an eruption of Morning's Thief as an eruption of Morning.

Lynn Stephens

From: caroloren98 at hotmail.comTo: geysers at wwc.eduDate: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:07:27 +0000Subject: [Geysers] Visitor report of Morning/Fountain dual on 6/19

A Yellowstone regular (not a gazer) reported a dual eruption on 6/19 around 0845.  Morning was erupting to 20 to 30 feet.  No pictures.   Kelli English knows the reporter; I haven't talked to him (and I'll be off the next 2 days). Did anyone else see anything new? Carolyn/OFVC

Live Earth is coming.  Learn more about the hottest summer event - only on MSN. Check it out!