[Geysers] Giant eruptions

Karl and Lori Hoppe karlori at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 18:57:40 PDT 2007

Thanks to Mike, Scott, and Paul for sharing their F&M
observations and thoughts.

I think I know the eruption Paul is talking about in
2000 - July 8...  My wife and I had just stayed our
last night for our trip in the Inn's old house and had
a nice view of Geyser Hill.  We woke up in the morning
to "Beehive's Indicator" being called on the radio
followed by Beehive (according to the log book
transcribed by Lynn Stephens it was 0721).  Nice send
off for our trip we thought...  until about 10 minutes
after Beehive quit and we hear Cynthia Barwin call
"FAN AND MORTAR IS ERUPTING!"  The old house is NOT
the ideal place to see the initial steam cloud for
F&M.  At least we hadn't packed the bikes yet.

I do recall looking at F&M earlier during that trip
and it being in garbage mode (Happy Angle Syndrome).
Nobody expected it to erupt.  It just... did.

And thanks again for the comments.

Karl Hoppe