[Geysers] Giant eruptions

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 01:11:44 PDT 2007

I certainly didn't spend hours there, but did have about an hour or so
spread over a couple of pit visits.  Blah.  Disorganized.  Quiet, then RV,
then G,H, and Angle within seconds, then blah.

There were cycles, but garbage-y.  It looked the same as it did in my prior
visits in 2007.

There is precedent for it to suddenly erupt out of a dormancy.  I don't
think there is a record of it slowly improving and getting more organized
and more water and people thinking - hey, maybe it's coming out of dormancy!
Nope.  It just starts one day.  I know that's what happened in 1979 and
1983, and I believe the first one in 2000 was a bit of a surprise -
especially with the activity in 98 and 99 of Norris Pool.  (You can put
quotation marks around that name in your mind if it makes you feel better.)

I'd need to go through my notes from other "first eruptions," but I really
don't recall a time when people were saying, "Hey - F&M look pretty darn
good" and it erupts a day, week, or whatever later.  Like I told some people
in Mem Day - it's just gonna go one day.

BTW, I wasn't surprised.  But I'm ALWAYS relieved when it has its "first"
eruption.

Paul Strasser