[Geysers] Giant and Grotto Marathons

David Schwarz david.schwarz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:55:28 PDT 2007

   I'm not sure about this, but I think I remember a couple of cases in 1997
when Giant erupted either during a marathon recovery or during the first
Grotto after a marathon, and that Grotto turned into a second marathon.  I
also think I recall that consecutive marathons were otherwise very uncommon
in '97.

   Even so, it's a huge leap--almost meaningless, really--to try to deduce
cause and effect from these observations.  Do Giant eruptions cause
marathons?  Do marathons starting cause Giant to erupt?  Or is there some
invisible third system state variable that causes both events to be
associated with each other?  I have difficulty imagining surface phenomena
that would allow us to favor any of those conclusions over the others, given
our limited knowledge of how the system actually works.  The best we can do
is conclude that there is (during some years) an association between Giant
eruptions and Grotto eruptions that later turn out to be marathons.

   We tend to think of the sequence as Giant causing the marathon because
that's usually the order in which we conclude an event has happened--First
we see Giant, then a few hours later we decide that Grotto has been erupting
long enough to call it a marathon.  That doesn't mean it's the order in
which the events were determined.  Maybe the system knows long before Grotto
starts whether it's going to be a marathon (or at least going to have a high
probability of being a marathon).  Maybe Giant erupting affects that
probability.  Maybe it doesn't.  There's just too much hidden to be sure.

David Schwarz