[Geysers] Geyser report June 3

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 15:52:28 PDT 2007

Thanks for numerous people for providing some of the following information.
And good bye for now to quite a few gazers, leaving only 5 or 6 of us  around.

Yesterday Grotto started an eruption at 1113 and that continued as of about
1630. That apparently went on to produce a marathon of (we think, perhaps)
something in the vicinity of 14 to 16 hours duration; Grotto had not restarted
as of about 1200 today.

This morning there was a Giant hot period at 0639ie (d ~ 4  min) but the
system acted as if that wasn't the recovery. At about 0900 the  water level in The
GIP was a good 4 or 5 inches above the "elbow." There was a  brief bathtub at
0928. The next hot period was at 1019 (there definitely was  none between
these two), and I will admit it had me a bit excited. From the  beginning, before
Feather and any overflow, Mastiff was boiling and surging  strongly. Feather
came on and Satellite immediately after. Then Rust within  moments. Mastiff
surged continuously to 2 to 4 feet for the first four minutes.  Then it paused
for 20 or so seconds. Then it restarted, and this time some of  the surges
might have hit 6 feet and they were wide; at times the V-shape  appeared in the
surging. But then Mastiff dropped, Feather and Satellite shortly  thereafter.
Duration disappointingly short at 6m 16s.

Oblong was at 0537 and 0946.

Grand was 0523 and 1206 (G2Q).

The Sawmill group went into a deep, deep drain at about 0820 (that's when
Sawmill quit). There was an Uncertain, though I only saw it in very late steam.
The next Sawmill cycle had Sawmill, but it started before the system was
anywhere near full, and it ended before anything had reached overflow except it
and Old Tardy (even Spasmodic remained more than a foot down, as did
Twilight).  My parker is in place, so Penta has not erupted in at least two days.

Castle started a major at 0822.

Depression was 0811.

Aurum was 1028ie.

Plume was 0837, 0924, 1012, 1059, ----, 1228.

Elsewhere, Great Fountain was this morning at 0724 (P=0). On consecutive
days it has been recorded at least at 1100, 1032, 1032, ~0840, 1941, and 0724. I
don't know if additional evening eruptions were recorded, but you can do  the
math.

Gemini was different from what I've seen before. I only caught two
eruptions. There at a comparitively long interval of 28 minutes (1427 and 1455)  and
had the crater completely drain after both eruptions.

Fountain was 1718 last eveing, then today at 0647ie (probably near start)
and 1325 (=34min). This makes 3 or 4 days on which it has averaged somewhere
between 6 1/2 and 7 hours. Morning's Thief  had some 25-30 foot bursts at  1327
and 1331.

Two holes near the boardwalk just a few feet from the stairway near Twig  are
active. The holes look muddy and have vegetation right to their edges, but
the water is clear. The eruptions are confined to within the holes but are
quite  vigorous. Today they were active a few minutes after Fountain and shortly
after  Twig started. Relationship unknown.