[Geysers] Geyser Report (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 19:18:45 PDT 2007

NOTE:  THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

I sent in a report for the August issue of The Sput, using data collected through early July.  Here's some information on some of the geysers in Midway and the Lower Basin that I monitor.

Till Geyser--durations 30-31 minutes.  Intervals--minimum 9:55, maximum 11:24; mean 10:48.

Flood Geyser--intervals major to major still about 3 hours.  Although I haven't spent much time there the past two weeks, it's seldom in eruption when I drive by.

Great Fountain--Mean overflow 82 minutes, range 69 minutes to 106 minutes.  Great Fountain had a 22h11m interval 7/20-7/21.  I had gone out for the late afternoon eruption on 7/20 with my family.  We left before the eruption ended once I knew it had had 5 bursts and wouldn't erupt before dawn on 7/21.  I went out at 6 and the water level was out of sight.  Hoping it was in "crash" state, I waited, but an hour later the water level hadn't moved, so I knew it wasn't in "crash" state, but rather had not yet recovered from the prior eruption.  Since the longest interval of the season had been about 16 1/2 hours, I moved the prediciton out to 10 am, which closed the window at noon, which would be an interval of 18 1/2 hours.  I returned to the Upper Basin, had a farewell breakfast at the Inn with my family, then returned to Great Fountain about 10 am.  Seeing the water level was still out of sight, I called the Visitor Center and recommended that we take Great Fountain off the prediction board.  A few minutes later some visitors drove up, looked at the blank board and said "Well, looks like we won't get to see it during daylight, but at least we got to see it after dark last night."  I talked with them enought to determine it had still been erupting at least 3 1/2 hours after the 7/20 late afternoon eruption had started, which confirmed my decision to take it off the board.  It finally erupted at 15:44 on 7/21.  Median interval is still about 12 1/4 hours.

White Dome--I have 161 closed intervals on White Dome ranging from a minimum of 13 minutes to a maximum of 117 minutes, with a mean of 33 minutes.  Durations (timed while sitting at White Dome itself from start of the eruption to last water) have been just under two minutes.  The last 30+ seconds of the eruption consist of a thin wisp of water no more than 1 to 2 feet above the cone, so durations from a few hundred feet away appear to last only about a minute or so.

Gemini, Pebble and Crack: Gemini was frequently seen prior to July 16 when Pebble went into overflow.  Every time I have driven past or sat at White Dome since July 16, Pebble has been in overflow.  Occasional bubbles will break the surface.

I noted that the marker placed on Crack earlier this summer was in place on July 15.  It washed sometime between July 15 and July 18, so Crack had at least one eruption.  The marker was replaced on July 18 and was still there this afternoon.

Since Pebble went into overflow, Gemini has been drained.  Periodically the left (north) vent will bubble and try to fill.  I had seen no activity from the right (south) vent until this morning.  Gemini erupted once this morning.  The right vent started bubbling, then the left vent filled, then the right vent erupted to 3 to 4 feet and the left vent joined in.  Right vent hit a maximum of about 6 feet and the left vent hit a maximum of about 4 feet.  Duration was about 50 seconds.  The runoff channel was dry when I arrived and Gemini had not had a second eruptoin when I left two hours later.

Still no activity from the UNNGs in Great Fountain's runoff channel nor the UNNG in Tangled Creek.

Pink Cone Group:
     Ralph's monitor tells the story for Narcissus and Pink.
    I have 6 closed interval on Labial ranging from a minimum of 5h03m to a maximum of 6h53m with a mean of 5h56m.
    Bead--I have 40 closed interval ranging from a minimum of 27m30s to a maximum of 35m37s with a mean of 31m03s.
    Box Spring--I have 34 closed intervals varying from a minimum of 15 minutes to a maximum of 1h12m, with a mean of 27m.
    Pink Cone--The average inverval I have recorded is 20h41m, ranging from a minimum of less than 19h25m (a double interval that averaged 19h25m) to a maximum of 23h24m.  Durations are 95 to 101 minutes.

Fountain has had several 7 3/4 intervals.  Morning's Thief continues to be active (Morning is not).

Grand's average burst count for April 13 through June 30--1.40.

Social Note:  About a dozen geyser ladies spent the afternoon shopping and about 25 gazers went to dinner at the Lodge Cafeteria this evening.

Lynn Stephens