[Geysers] Upslope from Artemisia

carolyn loren caroloren98 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 25 18:27:41 PDT 2007

I wouldn't trust my guesstimate in hindsight all that much!

Carolyn

From: TSBryan at aol.comDate: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:27:30 -0400To: geysers at wwc.eduSubject: [Geysers] Upslope from Artemisia

In a message dated 7/24/2007 9:36:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, caroloren98 at hotmail.com writes:
A separate area:  on 18 July I saw that the pools upslope from Artemisia were down maybe 4-6"; also Wave Spring has lowered some too, on 22 July it was maybe an inch or so down from its normal.  Have others seen this earlier?

The pools upslope from Artemisia -- that is, across the old road and up the hill, consisting of Iron Spring, the larger of the two and which evidently had a few eruptions up to 4 feet high following the 1959 earthquake, and “Tomato Soup Spring,” so called during the late–1920s -- always tend to lower their water levels as the season progresses. In general, too, I think the boiling (or maybe it is just bubbling) simultaneously grows stronger as the levels drop. what surprises me is Carolyn stating that on 18 July these springs had levels down just 4 to 6 inches. I cold swear that 2 to 3 weeks ago, those levels were down at least 12 inches. Well... I'll be able to take another look in a couple of weeks.