[Geysers] Geysers and earthquakes

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 18 01:27:16 PDT 2007

I have just read through this article forwarded
by Scott.  There are parallels with the effects
of earthquakes on boiling springs / geysers.  The
one example for which there is unambiguous
evidence is the effect of the 1886 Tarawera
eruption on the hot springs of the Rotorua
geothermal system.  This has been spelt out in my
book.  However, at the time of writing I
deliberately refrained from presenting there an
exhaustive analysis of the possible physical
processes that had caused the enhanced (geyser)
eruptive effects.

It was discovered that in the vicinity of
Ohinemutu deformation in the form of land
subsidence had occurred, while further south at
Whakarewarewa no such deformation had occurred.
And the observed unusual hydrothermal phenomena
were different.  At Ohinemutu during the course
of the volcanic eruption (ie. during the time the
subsidence was occurring) a large number of
springs and geysers broke out - most of them
however quickly or gradually reverted to their
state of relative quiescence over a period of a
month or so afterwards.  At Whakarewarewa
abnormal activities commenced eight days after
the eruption but were persistent and still
apparent six months later.  In order not to take
up too much space and test the patience of
readers I shall concentrate just on the effects
at Ohinemutu.

I argued that at Ohinemutu one of the principal
effects was the change in ground-water level
which rose relative to the subsiding land
surface.  Such would have induced springs to flow
more rapidly, bringing hot water to the surface
more rapidly, and indeed inducing extra boiling
at higher levels in the geothermal plumbing
system.  But this could not have been the cause
of geyser displays triggered off-shore there in
Lake Rotorua.  What I suspect was happening there
(and also as an additional effect on land) is
that during the passage of the earthquake waves
steam bubbles produced during the rarefaction
phases of the earthquakes were not entirely
eliminated during the compression phases.  This
could have led to amalgamation of bubbles and
eventually to sizeable volumes of steam being
formed in the plumbing.  Since steam has so much
lower density than water, the pressures at the
tops of the steam volumes would have been almost
the same as the pressures at the bottom of the
steam bubbles.  The general effect is therefore
to reduce hydrothermal pressures within and below
volumes where steam has formed, encourage
boiling, and hence induce geyser action.

The proposed steam accumulation mechanism is not
a million miles away from the way the authors
(T.R. Walter and F. Amelung) explain the
triggering of volcanic eruptions by megathrust
earthquakes in the article Scott has drawn to our
attention.  (See their figure 4.)

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam