[Geysers] Earthquakes at Old Faithful

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 06:23:34 PST 2007

Last night, shortly before midnight, I was woken up by an earthquake.  (I live in Larkspur Dorm in the Government area at Old Faithful Village.)  Within a few minutes there was a second, and then a third, both smaller than the first.  Shaking was very short in duration, but definitely noticeable.  I was really tempted to grab the headlamp and head out to Geyser Hill, but I decided sleep was far more sensible.

  Looking at neic.usgs.gov this morning, the first quake was a 3.0M, depth 0.4km a short distance south of Lone Star Geyser.  I've filled out the earthquake felt report already.

  Karen Low
  (When I walked across the stage at the graduation ceremony for my Bachelor's of Science in Geology last month at University of Wyoming, the reader called my home town as Yellowstone.)