[Geysers] Whittlesey on Picture from Monteith

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Tue Jan 16 08:02:10 PST 2007

David is correct on all of this. The boy is Jack Haynes, who is about aged
twenty in this picture.  As I recall it is indeed from 1904.

Lee Whittlesey

                      David Monteith
                      <dmonteit at icehous        To:       geyser observation reports <geysers at wwc.edu>
                      e.net>                   cc:       (bcc: Lee Whittlesey/YELL/NPS)
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [Geysers] Another picture
                      geysers-bounces at w
                      wc.edu

                      01/14/2007 09:38
                      AM PST
                      Please respond to
                      geyser
                      observation
                      reports

As you might expect from a good entrepreneur, FJ Haynes couldn't resist
updating the previous picture once the Inn was constructed.  I'm not sure
of the date of this one but it is in the early years of the Inn, I'd guess
it is from 1904.  I once read that the boy in this picture is Jack Ellis
Haynes but, I'm not positive of the identification.  It should also be
noted that Haynes was fond of this composition.  Besides the two photos
I've posted, there is a third picture predating the shack hotel showing a
tent camp located on the future site of the Inn.

I need to read through my posts before I send them.  The picture of the
shack hotel was circa 1890, not 1895.  The shack hotel was constructed in
1885 and burned down in 1894.

Geysers mailing list
Geysers at wwc.edu