[Geysers] Steamboat?

Bill Warnock billwarnock at wyellowstone.com
Sun Feb 25 06:59:37 PST 2007

Yesterday (2/24) I visited Norris together with brother Dave and the Friz family.  We were there from around 3 to 4 pm.  Steamboat was putting forth great clouds of condensed steam, but no water at all from either of the main vents.  Listening carefully, we could hear no water splashing, even at depth.  There was only ice in the runoff channel where south vent's bursts normally drain. Down below, there was no runoff at the little bridge to Echninus and no sign of a recent eruption--no snowmelt on the boardwalk or mud/gravel on the little bridge, no disturbance of the bacterial mat under the ice.

Cistern Spring was almost empty, with only a flat pool of water visible at the very bottom, slightly steaming but not boiling.  Echnius was full and in overflow, but we saw no eruption.  One guide told us that the Park Geologist had been there the day before looking things over.  Maybe we'll get a report.

It looks like the plug was pulled on Steamboat/Cistern's water source.  Strange indeed.  I'll post some pictures later.

Bill Warnock