[Geysers] Odd happenings at Steamboat

Ruth & Leslie Quinn ruthleslie at ispwest.com
Wed Feb 21 20:51:02 PST 2007

  This afternoon, Wednesday, February 21st, some of my staff of snowcoach drivers stopped into Norris because of the height of Steamboat's steam cloud. They found Cistern Spring partially empty, and it drained more while they and their passengers were there (time about 4:00 p.m.), but while Steamboat continued with a healthy steam cloud it erupted no water that anyone could see. The slightly odder part was that, as they reported it, it did not appear from looking at the surroundings that Steamboat had actually erupted at all. They admit such a subjective judgement is certainly unreliable. I saw it sometime later, closer to 5:30 p.m., and only from the road, but the geyser appeared to be in a healthy, pulsating steam phase (no liquid water that I could see) of about 50-75 feet in height. I make no opinion of what may or may not have occurred.
Leslie Quinn