[Geysers] Sinter Formation

Carlton Cross cross at bmi.net
Fri Dec 7 22:59:31 PST 2007

Well, in my Moderator role, I wish to conclude the discussion about
standing on features.

Beyond that discussion, I'm wondering how much is known about the formation
of beaded sinter.  Before the early park visitors tore up most of the
beaded sinter, the formations looked much different.  What I see now in the
remote areas looks quite different from anything in the high-traffic areas.
 Why doesn't beaded sinter form again where it has been removed?  Have the
deposits in the different basins always shown major differences in the
amount of beading present?  Are there published studies on the subject?

Carlton Cross
Moderator