[Geysers] People on Minute Man

David Goldberg geyserlistserv at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:02:41 PST 2007

     All of the old time geyser gazers with pictures of themselves off train, standing on various geysers need to hide the evidence deeper in their attics because we're holding public executions now.  It's worth noting that the people pictured on Minute Man were actual National Park Service employees and didn't even need a permit so they didn't have any written restrictions on what they could do.  I volunteered for the GIS project in 1998 (around the time I believe the pictures were taken) providing names for the features they were mapping.  I didn't always like there methods, but admittedly the only instuctions they had were to GPS locate, photograph, and take a water sample from every single hole in the ground.  Walking on a lot of sinter was unavoidable.  After a while you just got used to it.  I agree that they shouldn't have been on Minute Man's cone.  However the distinction between that cone and all the other sinter they had to walk on to do their job is something you probably have to be a geyser gazer to appreciate.  Incidentally, how do you think we download Lion Geyser these days.  Every month someone has to walk all over the Lion Group sinter mound.  The GIS data only had to be taken once ever.  So can we please get down off our soap boxes and quit moaning about questionable proceedures used nine years ago when we do the same thing all the time now.  Thank goodness noone photographs the geyser downloads.

David Goldberg