[Geysers] *SPAM?* Re: *SPAM?* RE: Old Faithful night shot (correct link)

Karen Webb minissa2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 00:38:49 PDT 2007

Boy, I don't see why anyone thought the Stonehenge
shot was bogus; it's
just very well set up.
    The fellow who took the OF shot is fairly
reachable by email.  I had
written to say, "What a great shot, how did you do
it?" a few days ago
and got a "thanks, I take lots of pictures" answer
(not that this is
that different from a lot of people who really don't
read emails beyond
the first sentence and respond to one and only one
thought).  I just
tried again asking for specifics.  I'd say the meteor
shower shots on
his site must have been altered a little as well, but
they're very
dramatic nonetheless.  (I'm surprised no one has
mentioned the single
star done with the stellate filter -- I thought with
multiple points of
light like this, you got the stellate effect on
everything).
Karen Webb

Paul Strasser wrote:
> Allan:
>
> I too have wondered about its authenticity.  First
off, it is NOT a photo of
> it in eruption.  Period.  It's just OF giving off
nice little bits of steam
> on a particularly still night.  I have taken time
exposures in the geyser
> basin and steam does very weird things - can look
like trains of feathers,
> as a matter of fact, and definitely appeared
photoshopped.  But that's how
> they turned out.
>
> Of greater concern is the lack of trailing, as you
indicate. Either the sky
> will trail, or the ground will trail.  I have some
great photos of Hale-Bopp
> in which either the comet or the trees are trailing
(this was with 1000 ISO
> film).  Put simply, in a time exposure you cannot
have both trees and sky
> crystal clear.    I've copied the photo into
photoshop AND PSP and see zero
> evidence of blurring in either stars or trees.
>
> You need an exposure of several minutes with VERY
fast film to capture the
> milky way so beautifully, and in that time the
ground would be a huge smear.

> I am NOT saying that this is phony.  I'm just saying
that someone with some
> experience in such astrophotography is utterly
flummoxed as to how it was
> done.  So - the question to the photographer - how
did you do it?

> BTW, my brother had an "astronomy photo of the day"
of Stonehenge on the
> summer solstice.  Totally real, but several people
complained to the site