[Geysers] Geyser report August 13

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Aug 13 16:02:48 PDT 2007

Due to what I'll say is a business concern (had to fax an escrow document),
out to town by 2:30. But an interesting day nonetheless.

First, nobody seems to know when yesterday's Grotto marathon ended. This
morning, Variable was full by 0600 and the recovery hot period had not taken
place. At 0805 there was a Mastiff footbath. The recovery was at 0847, d = 6m
00s with very heavy overflow (India covered by about 3 minutes) and,  briefly,
Mastiff wide and to 6 feet. There apparently was a bathtub(?; or less)  shortly
before 1000, then hot periods at 1041 (d = 5m 20s), 1150 (d > 3m),  and 1254
(d = 4m 04s). All included Feather Satellite.

Grotto Fountain started at 1144, with a duration of about 20 minutes. It  was
a solo; Grotto did not start.

Fan and Mortar did not erupt but they had a very good event cycle that
resulted in "everybody" being there. Apparently, River, High, Gold  _AND_ Angle did
not turn off until about 1022, so this was a fast  cycle. Because:
1034, all off but a Main Vent (MV) splash
1044, first Bottom Vent (BV) eruption with runoff; huge MV splashes  (plural)
1050, BV#2, runoff to the river, d = 5m 06s
1055:50, BV#3, d = 4m 14s
1100:34, BV#4, d = 54s
1102:01, BV#5, d = seconds
1103:15, BV#6, d = 17s
1104:36, BV#7, d = 6m 01s
1110:53, BV#8, d = 1m 14s
1112:18, BV#9, d = 46s
1113:29, BV#10, d = 4m 50s
1118:56, BV#11, d = 34s
1119:47, BV#12, d = 1m 40s
1122:06, BV#13, d= seconds
1122:33, BV#14, d= 12s
1123:07, BV#15, d = 57s
1124:35, BV#16, d = 1m 08s
1126:30, BV#17, d > 3m (, gradual, indistinct end). MV splashes  throughout
all the above.
1126:40, River on (essentially simultaneous with BV#17)
1127:18, High and Gold on (crud; too soon)
1129:10, Angle on

Only for the first 1 minute or so did Fan's water levels look really good,
and overall the jetting was not as strong as with yesterday's failure. Nuts.
Fan  was obviously losing water by 7 1/2 minutes and was thoroughly cooked by 11
 minutes.

Artemisia1035

Daisy 0618ie, 0922 and 1229.

Oblong 0906 and 1323.

Grand 0611 (T2C), and then somewhere around 1230 a Vent Delay.

Castle was 0543 ie steam, major after a minor.

Lion 0705 initial and 0828, then no more.

I recorded Plume intervals of 53, 57 and 60 minutes today.

Both Depression and Aurum erupted while "everybody" was down at F&M. A
said-to-be-reliable visitor report had Aurum at 0555.

I _think_, as I was driving a bit beyond Biscuit Basin, that I heard  Beehive
called at 1327. It did not erupt yesterday, so this timing is  right.