[Geysers] Geyser report April 27

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Apr 27 16:11:07 PDT 2007

Nice WET, muddy bear tracks in the frosty boardwalk near Economic this
morning. No bear in sight, though. In late morning, Bill Warnock appeared, then
laster so did Bronco Grigg. But you want to know about geysers....

I guess the interesting thing was Grotto this morning. I noted the
consecutive Central Vent Delays of yesterday. Well, today there obviously had  already
been one such when I first got there, just after the weak, 0740 Giant  hot
period. And then... Central Vent Delay at 0805. Central Vent Delay at 0843.  As
they were still going, and while Grotto Fountain tried really hard to erupt,
Grotto started. It lasted 2 1/2 minutes, but definitely was an eruption since
water poured out of the back holes and some jets reached 10 feet or so. Then
at  0856, Startling erupted. Then everbody was really quiet until 0933, when
Grotto  Fountain went from zero to full eruption within about 30 seconds.

And Grotto started at 0936. And it is a marathon, still going at after  1530.
But here's the really fun part. At 1119 there was a Rocket major, easily
visible from Castle-Crested. Nice. Son now Grotto's going to quit, right? Wrong.
Rocket major at 1135, interval 16 minutes, this one much bigger than the
first.  But yeah, Grotto didn't quit.

Today's observed Giant hot periods were all rather short and weak: 0740,
0939 (d=3m05s), 1125 (small surging visible in Mastiff from near Grand), and
1344 (d<2m).

Daisy 0820, 1054 and 1313ie.

Oblong longish, 0840 and 1339.

Grand was 0659E, but that's all I can say about it as Rift was active at
1500, and I didn't stick around.

Castle, at 1421ie, was a minor.

Lion at 1455 was not the initial.

Depression was at 1111.

Plume liked hourly intervals today: 1018, 1122, 1222, ---, ---, and  1520.

Beehive is orange.

As I drove out, Great Fountain was 1555ie.