[Geysers] Giant and others April 24

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Apr 24 15:52:09 PDT 2007

GIANT approximately 1540vr.

Well, shoot. The big news is that Giant erupted this afternoon. I had been
in the basin until about 1330, when I headed to the Lower Basin (where I had
good luck), but therefore I missed Giant. The rangers saw the steam cloud on
the  Webcam -- as no doubt did some of you -- and they got the start time as a
vr  from a family who happened to be right there, who reported to Butch Bach
who  bicycled down.

This surprises me. Here's the tale from earlier. The first thing I saw this
morning was a Giant Hot Period, 0731ie. Duration unknown but certainly short.
Giant hot period at 0833, duration about 2 1/2 minutes, Mastiff absolutely
flat  throughout. I suspect there was another hot period around 0930, because
there  was another at 1031, duration not more than 2 minutes, Mastiff a brief
bit of  boiling to 1 foot or so. I might have missed another one before the one
that I  strongly suspect took place at 1236 -- as seen from Grand there was a
lot of  steam and Bijou was off for about 5 minutes.

Grotto Fountain started at 1023, Grotto at 1028. Based on the Grotto
duration of about 1 hour, I suspected that it was the first after a  marathon.

Oh, well. Would have been nice. This was a glorious, almost cloudless day
with the temp into the 50s.

Maybe this was telling something. Oblong was at 0853, then again at 1151,  an
interval of only 2h 58m.

Daisy was running relatively short, with 0722E, unseen approximately 1000,
and 1217.

Well, so I missed Giant. Grand was 0416E, then following a Rift, at 1230.  It
was a T - three- Q, duration about 11 1/4 minutes.

On Geyser Hill, I did see Lion at 0930, not initial. The water in Beehive's
Indicator stood a bit higher today -- still below overflow, though.

Enroute to missing Giant (actually, I was almost back to West by  then):
Great Fountain, seen from the raod and then from the Fountain Overlook, was
1355ie.
White Dome was ie at 1419.
I nearly walked up on Fountain, which started at 1420 and had a duration of
a full 34 minutes.

Nuff said.

Scott Bryan

New Giant chart is attached

At 1017, Castle had its first minor since opening, d ~ 3 1/2m. It had not
restarted as of 1330.