[Geysers] Geyser Report 4-8-07

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Mon Apr 9 07:11:05 PDT 2007

May I say something about the long Giant interval?

It is probably correct.  But - the Giant sign had been in a location that
IMO would make it very difficult to dislodge in a "normal function"
eruption.  And the "danger hot ground" sign was also in a very peculiar
place.

Normally, both of these signs are perched on the gently sloping - almost
rounded - sinter directly in front of Giant's cone.  The first huge wash at
the start of a Giant eruption is good enough to get both of them tumbling
down the slope of the platform.  However, neither sign was anywhere near
there.  The Giant sign was in a place that seemed strategically designed to
keep it in place - on a "step" in the platform about 6 or 7 feet to the
north of its normal position.  Giant's sign wasn't simply on this "step" -
Its back end was tucked in tightly against the rear of this sinter step.
The huge wash from Giant could easily IMO just flow over the sign rather
than moving it - what the first Giant wash does is also lift the sign, not
just push it (the signs float, after all).  In addition, the "danger hot
ground" sign was even farther to the north, in that area south of the
Mastiff overflow area, directly west of the Mastiff sign on a flattish
region of the platform.  How many times have you seen a Giant eruption in
which the Mastiff sign didn't move?

I understand the Giant sign was moved yesterday back to its typical location
on the rounded slope in front of the cone, the place where it's been for the
last several years.  The danger hot ground sign is, I believe, still on that
flat ground to the north.

Now - does this mean that Giant has had missed eruptions during the 17+ day
hiatus?  I have no idea.  Frankly, the descriptions of the activity over the
week, notably the post-Marathon hot periods taking place 4 - 5.5 hours after
the end of a Marathon, are not what we like to see in Giant, and 3-4 hours
between semi-okay hot periods is also not good stuff.  But based on the
Giant signs alone, don't be surprised if the data logger shows an eruption
during this interval.

Suzanne said that this activity reminded her a bit of the stuff seen before
the July 23 eruption, in which Giant and Grotto seemed out of sync, and
what's needed is a nice, LONG Marathon.  We shall hope.

Paul Strasser

  _____