[Geysers] GIANT at 1006 on 22 September 2006 (Schwarz)

MaryBeth Schwarz mbschwar at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 10:07:10 PDT 2006

     Grotto ended a marathon on Sept. 21 at 2300 thought to be ~ 18-22 or 24
hours duration (the voice on the radio sounded like Jeff Cross or Steve? but
I am not certain who reported this as I was gone a couple of days and do not
know who is still here).  The recovery hot period 22 September 2006 started
about 0953 (as usual I wrote down the details as called on the radio).  At
1.5m into the hot period there were Feather, F. Sat., and SW Vents.  At
2m20s Mastiff was to about 4 feet.  At 5m Mastiff was flat.  At 7.5 m
Mastiff was to 5 feet.  At 9m Mastiff was 3/4 the height of Giant's cone.
At 1003 MASTIFF was called erupting to ~40 feet.  At 1004 Bijou was reported
on and Giant was having large surges.  Then at 1006 GIANT erupted.  The
person calling the hot period did a great job of being calm.  I'm sure he
will have a detailed report of standing in the cage with snow all around
(and it is falling again at 1035) and the excitement of the eruption.

     Last night as I returned to the Old Faithful area about 1945, snow was
falling.  This morning the roads in the area are clear, but there is a
lovely coating of about 3" of snow as you can see on the webcam.  The
forecast is high of 38 and a low of 23 with more snow today which will move
east by tomorrow.

     GO Mastiff!  Go Giant!

     Mary Beth