[Geysers] Regarding no Giant

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 08:39:15 PDT 2006

Thought I'd post my reasons for saying that yesterday's recovery period at
Grotto-Giant somehow seemed not right to me. Any comments welcome:

1. We think -- but only think -- that the Grotto marathon ended at about
0400. If so, then the lousy recovery did not result in a hot period until 11 1/2
or so hours had passed.

2. The Spa continued erupting for around 3 hours after Grotto had quit is
not unheard of, but certainly a bit "odd."

3. My experiece by recollection (having not really made a study of this) is
that from the end of Grotto to refilling and first overflow by Variable Spring
 is around 4 hours. Yesterday, Variable was not all that low yet it
apparently took about 6 hours to refill.

4. Once water levels at Giant recovered enough to occasionally become
visible in Bijou and back Mastiff, it was very inconsistent and seemed sparse.
Also, from the first time that this water appeared until my departure -- fully 2
1/2 hours -- the volume of water appeared to increase very slightly if at all.
 Also, despite the passage of time, no water was ever visible in any platform
 vent (not a requirement, maybe, but...).

5. The water level in The GIP appeared to be the same within a fraction of
an inch at 1330 as it had appeared at about 0800.

6. Once Bijou began cycling (mostly subterranean) those cycles were over
total periods of not more than 5 minutes.

Anyhow, there you have it. I told some that I would stay until 1400. I'm  not
the most experienced observer of Giant, but I left at 1333 because the
situation was becoming so obvious to me -- things just didn't "feel  right.".