[Geysers] East Sentinel September 2, 2006

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Tue Sep 19 17:27:05 PDT 2006

Rather dated, but East Sentinel erupted over the Labor Day weekend.  I was
walking down to Riverside when I saw the steam cloud at 1932ie and then
hurried down to catch the end of the eruption.  Several people were watching
it and told me it had diminished a lot by the time I arrived.  The duration
was at least 4 minutes and it completely wet the sinter formation.  The
eruption came from the vents on the bank side of the pool and splashed over
to the river.  The small vents on the south side of the platform were also
active with forced steam.  The pool water level was very low after the
eruption.

It then had additional eruptions that didn't discharge much volume of water.
The water level rose a little and then it erupted sending splashes at an
angle towards the river with the furthest drops just reached the river.
Eruptions were:

1932ie d >= 4m, strong, wet the whole platform

1944 d=8, weak

1955 d=5 weak

2006 d<1, just a few splashes

2009 huffing and puffing but no water seen

2011 d=3 weak

As it was dark and seemed to be getting less active I left at this point.  I
went down to check on it several times in the two week trip and found it
either boiling from the river side or the bank side, cycling above and below
overflow.

That was a good way to start my trip to the park!

Graham Meech