[Geysers] Geyser report September 16 and 17

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sun Sep 17 17:26:37 PDT 2006

  _____

From: geysers-bounces at wwc.edu [mailto:geysers-bounces at wwc.edu] On Behalf Of
TSBryan at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:51 PM
To: geysers at wwc.edu
Subject: [Geysers] Geyser report September 16 and 17

Yesterdays storm (so called) largely bypassed Yellowstone. This morning
there was about 1/4 inch of snow on the boardwalks, none in West. But the
wind is what made yesterday miserable. So my observations are mostly Lower
Basin.

September 16

Plume did give an interval of 75 minutes. Castle at 0811 was a major. Grand
at 0909 had 1 burst. Beehive continues its late night mode

While awaiting Pink Cone, which erupted at 1108, I saw the roadside bubblers
start at 1021.

Dilemma was at 1034, 1038, 1043, 1044, 1046, 1051 (major -- lasted at least
30 seconds), then nothing more until 1104.

Box Spring was at 1018 and 1047.

After Pink Cone, I drove around to chack on Great Fountain, but it still
wasn't in overflow. So passing by Pink Cone again: Narcissus 1121ie, and
another Box Spring at 1122.

I only saw one eruption of Bead (1046) in all the time there.

September 17

A much nicer day, far less wind and clearing

Beehive 0531ns (per Graham Meech).

Plume had a 79 minute interval.

Grand, at 0910ie, caught us. I was the only gazer out, and just approaching
Castle. The eruption was -2Q.

Castle, 1035ie, was a major.

Giant is having hot periods, but evidently all that have been seen have been
very weak.

Grotto was 1145ie.

On the drive in, Fountain was 0703ie. Steve Eide had Pink at 0627 and
Narcissus at 0644ie. Then I saw Bead at 0718, and Box Spring at 0725 and
0746.

I presume it was Steve who finally caught Pink Cone at 1016, giving a closed
interval of 23h 08m!

On the drive out, I got A-0 at 1230 (d = 40s) and 1301 (d = 38s).

Great Fountain was in overflow at 1206. The eruption was at 1324 (p = 2),
and if it wasn't a superburst it was definitely a really, really big burst
that inundated the road, two cars and one motorhome.