[Geysers] Geyser report September 16 and 17

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun Sep 17 16:51:11 PDT 2006

Yesterdays storm (so called) largely bypassed Yellowstone. This morning
there was about 1/4 inch of snow on the boardwalks, none in West. But the wind  is
what made yesterday miserable. So my observations are mostly Lower  Basin.

September 16
Plume did give an interval of 75 minutes. Castle at 0811 was a major. Grand
at 0909 had 1 burst. Beehive continues its late night mode

While awaiting Pink Cone, which erupted at 1108, I saw the roadside  bubblers
start at 1021.
Dilemma was at 1034, 1038, 1043, 1044, 1046, 1051 (major -- lasted at least
30 seconds), then nothing more until 1104.
Box Spring was at 1018 and 1047.
After Pink Cone, I drove around to chack on Great Fountain, but it still
wasn't in overflow. So passing by Pink Cone again: Narcissus 1121ie, and another
Box Spring at 1122.
I only saw one eruption of Bead (1046) in all the time there.

September 17
A much nicer day, far less wind and clearing
Beehive 0531ns (per Graham Meech).
Plume had a 79 minute interval.
Grand, at 0910ie, caught us. I was the only gazer out, and just approaching
Castle. The eruption was -2Q.
Castle, 1035ie, was a major.
Giant is having hot periods, but evidently all that have been seen have  been
very weak.
Grotto was 1145ie.

On the drive in, Fountain was 0703ie. Steve Eide had Pink at 0627 and
Narcissus at 0644ie. Then I saw Bead at 0718, and Box Spring at 0725 and  0746.

I presume it was Steve who finally caught Pink Cone at 1016, giving a  closed
interval of 23h 08m!

On the drive out, I got A-0 at 1230 (d = 40s) and 1301 (d = 38s).

Great Fountain was in overflow at 1206. The eruption was at 1324 (p = 2),
and if it wasn't a superburst it was definitely a really, really big burst that
inundated the road, two cars and one motorhome.