[Geysers] Lion and ? (N.Goggles)

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 05:44:39 PDT 2006

In a message dated 9/14/2006 11:41:16 PM Mountain Standard Time,
r.keam at auckland.ac.nz writes:

The  postings on this matter lead me to ask:  Does a very detailed map
of  the locations of the springs on Geyser Hill, and indeed the whole
area  back to OF Lodge exist?  (I have a recollection of being told
that  this was the case during a very early conversation I had with
Scott  Bryan.)

Depending on the definition of "very detailed," the maps produced by the
USGS (commonly known as the "Thermal Maps") during the 1960s and to some extent
updated (or at least, added to) during the early 1970s are available. The
scale  is 1 inch = 200 feet. These maps exist for the entire Upper Geyser  Basin
(also for Norris Geyser Basin and West Thumb Geyser Basin, and for  portions of
the Midway Geyser Basin and Lower Geyser Basin (plus other areas  such as Mud
Volcano). Duplicated from the copies that were given to me as a  personal
gift by Dr. Donald E. White circa 1980, these maps are now  available from the
GosaStore.

If so, and if also a reasonably accurate location for
the camera is known,  then it ought to be possible quite readily to
determine the direction of  the line-of-sight to the steam cloud that
appears to show something  erupting. If the line-of-sight intersects
the location of a thermal  spring, then this becomes a prime candidate
for the source of the  cloud.

For the NPS, we have been working on doing exactly this. Not only for
directly visible features, but also for those steam clouds that rise from behind
the tree-covered ridge. And as previously pointed out, wind or fog or
intervening steam clouds and etc. can lead one astray.