[Geysers] Bill Boyce's radio buy

billmb at att.net billmb at att.net
Fri Sep 1 10:19:08 PDT 2006

Dear Gazers,
  I bought some radios. In retrospect, I think I should
have started a month ago and shopped the Internet. But
that opportunity passed.
  So with a few days in Salt Lake City with no car (yet!),
I made my way to a Radio Shack reachable from our hotel.
It was a smallish store without much selection. I ended
up with a pair of Motorola Talkabout T6500R FRS/GMRS two-way
radios, with a range up to 10 mi.  The batteries seem to be
rechargeable. It covers "all" 14 FRS channels including what
must be the original channels 1-7 (warning: a Radio Shack
house brand started at channel 8!). The packaging tells of
each channel having 99 "codes", without explaining what the
codes are for. None of the models referred to the sets
having "privacy" codes, but the T6500R seems to be a current
model so I hope it will be all right.
  I haven't cracked the packaging yet, so if I have made
an awful error please let me know in the next day or two.
  Thanks again, everyone.
  Bill Boyce