[Geysers] vandalism

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Fri Oct 27 23:06:17 PDT 2006

I was in the Park when the incident at Aurum occurred, and as part of my
work for Resource Management examined Geyser Hill closely the next day.  As
David said, there was no other damage; the persons who vandalized the fence
were careful to do the maximum damage to the fence and no damage to any of
the thermal features.  I also heard comments about a chain saw, but the saw
marks on the cut timbers and the small amount of sawdust remaining was
clearly from a handsaw, not a chain saw.

I spoke with the Subdistrict Ranger and the Rangers investigating the
incident at length and assured them that the geyser gazer community and GOSA
officially was shocked at the vandalism and in no way condone this sort of
action.

In my opinion, which I shared with Law Enforcement, it appeared that the
perpetrators were making a statement and did not intend to damage any of the
hydrothermal features.  Nevertheless, they did damage to a structure that
was put in place because of a genuine safety hazard in the winter, causing
damage that will be expensive in time and materials to correct.

I wrote at length about this incident in my column in the October SPUT, and
have made the appropriate contacts in the NPS.  I fully agree with David
Monteith that this sort of behavior is totally unacceptable and I join David
in wishing for (and working for, to whatever extent I can) the apprehension
and conviction of these vandals.

There are effective ways to convey opinions about the suitability (or
unsuitability) of things like the handrail at Aurum to the NPS.  Craig
McClure has sponsored NPS-Geyser Gazer meetings for many years now,
generally around the 4th of July weekend.  Many concerns have been raised,
and most have been dealt with by the NPS.  Not every concern is handled, and
sometimes it takes a long time for action to be taken, but results have been
delivered in many cases.  There are also comment forms at all Visitor
Centers that are read; these forms are treated seriously.  One can also
write a letter to the Superintendent; these also receive attention.

I was personally the victim of this particular vandalism.  One icy morning
in September while doing my data downloads on Geyser Hill I fell on ice at
Aurum and got a nasty lump on my head.

I do not know exactly how the NPS will replace the railing, but it will be
replaced in some form before the winter season, or possibly the Geyser Hill
boardwalks will have to be closed in the Aurum vicinity because of the
danger.

Ralph Taylor
President, The Geyser Observation and Study Association

--

Ron Keam
EMail r.keam at auckland.ac.nz