[Geysers] Thank you

Pat Snyder riozafiro at comcast.net
Thu Oct 26 18:43:21 PDT 2006

Thank you Steve and Dave on two counts:

First, I am always fascinated with Lower Basin geysers and this is
brand new information (to me) about Great Fountain. I had no idea
that is how it acted coming out of a wild phase. Fascinating. Wish I
could have seen it. Steve and Dave, I really appreciate the detail
you wrote about it!

And second, David, I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about
the vandalism. Thank you for putting it so succinctly.

Let me know if there's someone (Park Service or otherwise) that
should hear about this, I'd be glad to offer a letter noting that I
also condemn the vandalism that occurred at the Aurum Fence.

After talking to many gazers over Labor Day about winter in
Yellowstone (I have never taken a winter trip to the park), I really
came to understand the need for a way to get around Aurum when the
boardwalk is frozen. While the fence wasn't attractive, it was
necessary, and as you said, there were compromises that could have
been negotiated that would have made everyone happy. Now I am afraid
the Park Service will move the boardwalk to a location where you are
not as close to Aurum, and thus miss out on looking in it's
delightful decorative cone, not to mention the joy of Aurum's spray
on a hot afternoon. I have seen the smiles on so many visitors faces
because they aren't expecting it to come toward the boardwalk, and
they're delighted when it does..so I hope they choose fence again
over moving the path.

Thanks again.
Pat Snyder