[Geysers] Geyser report October 3

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Oct 3 15:08:18 PDT 2006

Finally, a good soaking rain overnight last night. But wonderfully, no rain
today. Temperature up to 53 in West.

Starting down-basin again... We don't know for sure what Grotto did
overnight, except that it probably had some sort of short, mini-marathon that  ended
in the middle of the night. Early today, Bijou was almost but not quite  dead.
What was probably the recovery hot period was at 0822 (d = 6m 15s). That  was
followed by another hot period at 0926ie (weak), then one at 1041 ( d ~  5 1/2
min), a bathtub at 1206, and finally (radioed by Bill W) a hot period at
1310ie (d ~ 2 min).

The first Grotto Fountain after the overnight-whatever happened at 1038.  The
duration was about 20 minutes and it was NOT accompanied by Grotto.  Again.

Yesterday Mike and I saw Artemisia's steam cloud at 1213ie. Today we saw it
at 1216ie.

Daisy was at 0819 and 1118.

This morning's only Oblong was at 1102.

Grand was 0447E and had not gone again as of 1315.

Castle was 0604E and clearly was a minor (though it was reported initially
as a major), as there was a full major starting at 1033.

Beehive was not seen on Sunday and it was not seen on Monday, so it was not
expected when it was caught at 1213ie.

Plume produced intervals of 126 minutes for 2 intervals, 61 min, and  144 min
again for 2 intervals.

Black Diamond has not erupted in days -- its water is the clearest I've  seen
since the first activity in July.

And this was fun -- upon leaving Old Faithful, I swung by Great Fountain.  It
was boiling vigorously. One car came by, asked about it and when I said it
would erupt within a few minutes, they drove away. So it was that (really!) at
1338 I was the only person there for the meter boil (P = 6). Yes, traffic has
 died down, but not that much. Some other people arrived about 5 minutes into
the  true eruption, after Great Fountain had had some bursts to maybe 150
feet.

For me, just three more days in 2006.