[Geysers] [Fwd: Old Faithful regression formula]

Udo Freund gosastore at qnet.com
Sun Nov 19 07:12:06 PST 2006

To all on the list,
Please help Thomas.  I believe predictions are no longer based upon a
regression formula, or are they?  As I understand current activity, OF
erupts bimodally, shorts are rare and longs are common.

Thanks,
Udo

Hello,

I'm currently and undergrad at the Colorado School of Mines, and I'm
working on a project that includes creating a simple computational
model for geyser behavior.  I'm focusing on Old Faithful, and I was
hopping could find the regression formula currently used to predict
each subsequent eruption.  I haven't been able to locate the
information on the web or in any journals and etc . . .. I'm going to
try and introduce some random behavior in the hopes of producing
behavior similar to Old Faithfuls, and I'd like to compare my results
with the regression model.  My hope is that someone at the GOSA has
accesses to this formula and would be willing to share it with me.

Thank you,
Thomas Cullison
Geophysical Engineering
Colorado School of Mines