[Geysers] Geyser report May 17

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed May 17 17:12:25 PDT 2006

Not much of a report, really. Unlike yesterday, the big geysers did not
cooperate very well today -- Grand and Beehive, Lion ie on arrival, Oblong  a big
steam cloud on arrival, and etc. The only good thing -- Artemisia's  eruption
started when I was roughly 3 1/2 paces away from the edge of the trail.  That
at 09:29 reinforces the thoughts of 12 hour intervals.

Anyhow, Grotto was in marathon all morning, and obviously had been in
eruption for a very long time as of 07:00. It was still going at 13:00.

So I pulled some more closed interval numbers from the VC logbook for  May 1
to today.

For Castle, I found difficulties in ferretting out the eruption types, but
this is what I came up with. Normal intervals (14) average 13h 10m; Minor
intervals (4) 7h 01m; post minor intervals (4) 14h 48m. This does not include
today's minor.

As I suspected, Oblong has _really_ lengthened its intervals in the last  few
days. Between May 1 and May 11, its average was 3h 46m (range 3h 19m to 4h
00m). But starting with May 12, the closed intervals, in order, have been 3h
54m, 4h 26m, 4h 36m, 5h 06m and 5h 13m; average 4h 39m. (Sorry, Julie.)

By the way, there have been no electronic download times for Castle and
Grand since last week, due to the VC move, and today nearly all staff was
involved in the move -- no rove except for the early geyser prediction  duty.