[Geysers] Geyser report May 14

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun May 14 14:06:38 PDT 2006

GIANT erupted this morning, at 08:04. A gorgeous, cloudless morning.
Interval: 7d 09h 44m. What happened is this:

When I arrived, KC and Julie Thomson were in the lower store parking lot,
very casually getting ready to head out. Kit Barger was already out, so KC
called her for geyser news. Kit reported that Bijou was on, that the GIP was not
very high, and that Grotto was only recently off from what had to be a normal
(non-marathon) eruption.

OK. So based on yesterday, Grand seemed "due." Thus we headed there, joined
by Darrel and Ann Scharf; and once at Grand, here came Kit. Turban, no Grand.
We  talked about whatever when we noticed that there was an awful lot of steam
at  Giant. Time 07:57.

Quickly, we saw Mastiff surging up maybe 3 or 4 feet. Then we saw it some
more. Then we started that way. Then Mastiff got bigger. Quite abruptly, as we
all were more or less at Beauty Pool, Mastiff took off -- 20, 30, maybe 40
feet  high. Time 08:03. And Giant started less than one minute later.

On site and "calmed down," we guesstimated that Giant had exceeded 200  feet.
Duration to the last, final bursts of water, about 86 minutes.

So Giant erupted on a hot period that took place probably 2 or fewer hours
after then end of a normal Grotto eruption.

Other items:

Grand went at 09:33, that "interval" from the previous  observed eruption
being a bit longer than 18 hours. No electronic download,  as Rebecca was the
only naturalist on duty (so to speak) as others were busy  packing things in the
VC upstairs. (The move to the new, temporary VC begins  tomorrow.)

Beehive was at 10:23, after an Indicator of 1 minute or less; interval 14h
30m.

Daisy was at 08:23ie and 10:40ie, a rather short interval of only 2h  17m.

Plume had consecutive intervals of 66, 64, and 67 minutes.

Mary Beth, soon to be a new home owner driving in from West, saw Fountain  at
10:14ie, ending at 10:33.