[Geysers] Geyser report May 12

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri May 12 14:12:35 PDT 2006

Today's interval for Grand was 6h 52m (from electronic time of 03:56), and
it was a T2Q
.
Today's interval for Beehive was short, at 21h 47m. The Indicator, seen  from
its start, preceded Beehive by only 7 minutes.

Oblong had an interval of 3h 54m.

Plume is doing better than it did a few days ago, with consecutive  intervals
today of 63, 64, 66, and 64 minutes.

Castle had an interval of 12h 54m (electronic to near start). I personally
have yet to see a minor eruption.

The Fan and Mortar marker remains in place.

>From yesterday's steam cloud to today's steam cloud, Artemisia was exactly
24h 00m. It does seem to be quite consistent in the 12 to 14 hour range.

Penta is doing something new, in that it is having "mixed phase" eruptions
that take place _during_ Sawmill Group deep drains. I heard of one of these 2
or  3 days ago.Today I saw it happen. Sawmill was going; Tardy was going; but
Spasmodic was already drained to a very low level, as was Oval; Twilight was
dropping. And here came Penta, very steamy but jetting water 10 to 12 feet
high  with sufficient volume to form a pool just shy of overflow. The duration
was  about 5 minutes... I expected Sawmill to quit in short order but it
actually  continued for another full hour.

OK, now Giant. No eruption yet, but perhaps the best hot period in a few
days, at a time when I most definitely did not expect it. At 07:45, Grotto was
off but it had not been off for very long -- the runoff channels were still wet
 and traces of steam could be seen when backlit by the sun. Bijou etc. were
totally off. Marathon Pool was lower, I think, than I've ever seen it before
AND  it was splashing 1 to 2 feet high. I theerfore conclude that the marathon
that  started around dawn yesterday is the same that ended near dawn today
(that is, a  marathon duration of something around 24 hours).

That's why the hot period at 0950i.e. caught me by surprise. I was just
casually strolling out that way. The hot period had not started as I passed by
Beauty and Chromatic; it was going when I got back into sight near Oblong.
Mastiff reached 4 to 6 feet high repeatedly (but could not hold such a height  for
more than a few seconds). The duration, from when I saw it in progress, was
about 6 1/2 minutes. Roughly 2 minutes after its end, there was a Feather Vent
 restart and it was then that Bijou briefly tried a bit of steam phase as it
came  on.

Three hours later, water was very low in GIP, the entire Giant Platform  area
appeared all but dead (a spit now and then from Bijou), and Grotto
Fountain-Grotto appeared to be nowhere near a start.

I've still seen just one Fountain eruption, and it seems that nobody has  any
sort of handle on what it is doing.