[Geysers] Giant/Grotto update

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu May 11 15:44:16 PDT 2006

In a message dated 5/10/2006 11:01:28 PM Mountain Standard Time,
kendall.madsen at onyxgfx.com writes:

Grotto off at  7:30 when checked water in run-off  channel warm, Bijou off
hung out at platform until someone  called Beehive indicator which was false
when we return to Giant platform at 10:48, Bijou is on,   India  dry
11:56 Giant hot period  duration 4 minutes mastiff  flat
13:42 Grotto Fountain Near Start
13:51 Grotto start
Do not  know shut-off time but Grotto  was short lived, called out over radio
15:43 Giant hot period duration 4 minutes 30  Seconds Mastiff to 1 foot
17:19 Giant hot period Duration 5 minutes  Mastiff to 1 foot
18:11 Grotto Fountain
18:16 Grotto
Grotto still on at  20:30

The above, from kendall Madsen, was for yesterday, May 10. Today, May 11, I
was told that the Grotto that started at 13:51 was __extremely short__ -- like
 35 minutes total duration, which elicited discussion then and queries to me
today. It seems clear that the previous eruption had been rather short, too.
This morning, although Grotto was in full eruption at 07:30, Bijou was still
rather strong. Meaning, I think, that Grotto's eruption had not been on for
very  long and, therfore, that yesterday's 18:11/18:16 eruption was again
rather short  (and that today's marathon was NOT a continuation of last evening's
eruption).  In other words, yesterday Grotto appears to have been short, very
short,  short.

With that, however, today's eruption was a marathon, with little  doubt -- it
had been on for quite some time as of 07:30 and it was still on  at 12:30
and, as noted before, it killed Bijou.

Now, is this next item good or bad? People have talked about a lack of
runoff from South Purple Pool being good for Giant. Indeed, in the past few days
there has been little to no such runoff. But today there was a lot.