[Geysers] Geyser report May 11

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu May 11 15:33:24 PDT 2006

As far as seeing a variety of geysers, today was a good day. In geographic
order, Plume, Beehive, Lion, Aurum, Castle, Grand, Oblong, Daisy, Grotto
(marathon), Riverside, Artemisia (steam cloud), and Atomizer major. However, I
have no interval on any of the above (except Beehive, which provided the last of
what follows). The Grand was mine alone, as was the Riverside and  Atomizer.

Given all that and that Grotto was in marathon and that Bijou progressively
died during the early morning hours and that GIP was (by far) the lowest I've
seen it this year... I extracted logbook eruption times for Beehive, Grand,
and  Daisy for May 1 to today. The results, using only closed intervals:

Beehive's May average interval is 23h 47m. The shortest of the month so far
was 21h 23m, and that was today's; the longest was 26h 09m, which was
yesterday's. The Indicator has been seen from the start only five times (that we  can
be sure of), and their average is 11.4 minutes. In addition, the eruption on
May 1 had no Indicator.

Grand's data gave 25 closed intervals so far in May (there is a gap between
morning May 8 and afternoon May 10). The average is 7h 22m, ranging from a
short  of 6h 31m to a long of 9h 25m. The average number of recorded bursts is
1.55  (although my personal average is easy to calculate, being precisely
1.00000000000 + or - zero).

Daisy's data gave me an average of 3h 20m. This included one interval of 4h
46m, which I am personally sure is a closed interval. However, other than that
 one, all intervals were in the range of 2h 51m to 3h 48m -- so you can see
that  the 3:20 mean is right in the middle. Furthermore, 9 of the 14 intervals
were  between 3:04 and 3:28. So Daisy is really doing quite well.