[Geysers] Why doesn't Giant like May and June? (Stephens)

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Tue May 9 20:16:48 PDT 2006

This mid summer decline in activity actually began back in the 1940's.  I
don't have my notes in front of me, but I mentioned this decline in my
historical article I wrote for the Transactions (T8 I believe).

Also, in 1999, Giant actually awoke in late April.  Following the October
15, 1998 eruption, Giant weakened in the late winter months and had stopped
having hot period by March of 1999.  About 10 days before the 5/9/99
eruption, South Purple Pool stopped overflowing, Giant resumed hot periods,
and 10 days later erupted.  Granted this isn't the norm, but it was
different from what has been seen from it in the past.

MK