[Geysers] Giant 5/6/06 @ 22:20

Kendall Madsen kendall.madsen at onyxgfx.com
Sun May 7 00:31:06 PDT 2006

We just got back to the cabin and we are pretty excited to pass this
information on. Giant erupted at 22:20 this evening and was a Mastiff
Function.

The details are as follows:

As mentioned earlier Grotto ended a 19 hour marathon between 13:05 and
13:30.

The Giant platform was dead all afternoon and evening. Around 9:30 a few
splashes were noted out of Bijou and there was water also splashing
occasionally to a foot or so in Giant.

The water in the GIP was higher than normal but not way up like it was
before the April 23rd eruption. The water level was at least a foot
lower. No water was visible in Mastiff prior to the hot period.

At 22:07, Giant started the recovery hot period. Kitt Barger called the
hot period over the radio.

We had a 10,000,000 candle power light with us, so we were able to see
great detail.

Mastiff appeared flat for the first 5 minutes and then dropped. We
actually thought we had lost it.

But within a minute or so it came back, first it surged to about 6 feet,
then to the height of the giant cone and from there it just kept getting
higher until at 22:17 it was if full eruption. The energy and amount of
water was very impressive.

About two minutes into the Mastiff eruption Giant started surging water
halfway up the cone, then as high as the cone. This went on for what
seemed like quit a while, then finally at 22:20, Giant erupted. A column
of water rocketed skyward.

Because the wind was blowing the steam towards the river and with the
help of a goliath light we were able to see the column of water clearly.
The view and experience was spectacular. The eruption lasted about 85
minutes and was enjoyed by 8 gazers.

Kendall and Curtis Madsen