[Geysers] Why doesn't Giant like May and June? (Stephens)

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Sat May 6 15:30:35 PDT 2006

>What is there about the months of May through August that Giant doesn’t like,
at least since 1959?

The lower activity in May-June correlates with the spring runoff and high
water table.  The high
activity in September correlates to the end of the relatively dry summer
months.

Fan and Mortar also do this.  They like summer but hate spring.

In 1999 I remember that the Norris Pools looked kind of greenish in late May,
but by July-August had
returned to their more typical blue color.

Marler mentioned spring runoff affecting Morning Glory Pool.

Aurum hates the dry months, but then again, it seems to need extra ground
water or it gets too hot to
erupt.

There are at least two examples of rainstorms repeatedly affecting geysers at
Shoshone.

I've seen no papers on how cold groundwater affects hydrothermal systems.  Has
this been studied?

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu