[Geysers] April issue of The Sput

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed May 3 05:10:52 PDT 2006

In a message dated 5/2/2006 9:01:18 PM Mountain Standard Time,

Scott's  list of Giant eruptions sinc 1955.  Thanks to Scott for keeping the
list  and making it available.  Please note that he has 161 eruptions listed;
#135 is used twice for the 4/02/02 again for the 4/14/02 eruptions.  Some  of
us could fill in some details about whether eruptions were Mastiff function
eruptions, for example the 9/12/88 eruption was a Mastiff function  eruption.
For a couple early eruptions (8/20/86 and 2/6/97) a comment  "start time
exact" is included.  Inclusion of that comment for these two  eruptions should not
be interpreted to mean that times listed without that  comment were not exact
start times.  Although some of the times are from  electronic monitors that
may have had a sampling period as wide as 15 minutes,  many of the start times
with nothing in the comment column are exact start  times.

Activity from Dome:

Egad -- I thought the list in the Sput was the corrected one. Ah, well... I
would love to have the details about eruption types and such, and also "exact"
 times in place of i.e. times, if available. Certainly, the couple of given
"start time exact" should not imply that other times are inexact. Note that of
 the two times I state that, the first was in 1986 (when eruptions were not
exactly commonplace) and the second case was when the eruption's actual start
time was 17:00 exactly... Anyhow, thanks for the corrections and  suggestions.

And thanks for the info on Dome, too.