[Geysers] Whittlesey discusses Marler's 1959 Geyser Names

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Mon Mar 27 08:04:22 PST 2006

For Scott, and anyone else interested, re: Marler's 1959 geyser names...

There were at least three folks who worked closely with Marler at this time
on the earthquake mapping and names, not including OF area naturalists and
not including the USGS guys who were involved with Marler's USGS earthquake
study. Barry Watson comes to mind. He wrote a LONG masters thesis on the
subject, which contains extensive maps and text. There also were two other
guys, Higgins and Germeraad, who helped with the maps but to my knowledge
did not write any text.

I agree that "Cone Geyser" was probably a mistake. We know it as Dome
Geyser. Perhaps Marler confused it with Cone Fumarole.

Watson referred on his maps and in his text to Bell Geyser, not spring. I
seem to recall that he claimed it erupted.

I don't know the "Grotto 2" and "Grotto 3" geysers.

Marler's "Spicule Spring" was Walter Weed's Sea Weed Spring, and Marler did
not know of the older history involving Walter Weed. I chose to go with the
old name and mentioned the "Spicule" proposal under that entry in
WONDERLAND NOMENCLATURE.

West Geyser was the term used by Watson, and as I recall it erupted,
according to him.

Gemini Geysers...this is the first I've heard of the plural term. The
singular term is in INVENTORY, so I took it that Marler settled on that.

Artesia Geyser...I seem to recall that this name-form was used on Marler's
"Map of West Central YNP," and I think it was also used by Watson. It might
also be in Marler's USGS earthquake paper.

"Deleted Surprise Spring" was Marler's term for Old Surprise Spring, Lower
Geyser Basin, and he referred to this in his 1963 report, p. 6. It was
apparently his idea to delete the name. I went with Old Surprise Spring,
rather than DSS.

I hope this information helps. Thanks to Scott for sending out that list of
Marler's material.

B y the way, Dr. Duncan Foley was here for a few days. He and I put our
heads together on his interesting research involving the age of Castle
Geyser, which you all will eventually see published. It promises to be a
fascinating article that combines new science with old history. As
mentioned, he and Hank were the ones walking on the cone of Old Faithful
Geyser recently. That is what you call "special permission."

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian, NPS
YNP

                      TSBryan at aol.com
                      Sent by:                 To:       geysers at wwc.edu
                      geysers-bounces at w        cc:       (bcc: Lee Whittlesey/YELL/NPS)
                      wc.edu                   Subject:  [Geysers] 1959 Geyser Names

                      03/26/2006 03:27
                      PM EST
                      Please respond to
                      geyser
                      observation
                      reports

While causally poring through Marler's report for 1959, I noted that he
used asterisks to indicate those geysers that were given names during the
post-earthquake "Emergency Interpretive Earthquake Study". Marler's report
covered only the Firehole basins, so none of this applies to the rest of
the park. It is also for geysers only -- I know not (and largely care not)
how many non-eruptive springs might have been named at the same time.

The list is attached as a Word file.

Several of the names, with comments, are given in bold. Especailly for lee
but certainly anybody else, too, any amplification/elucidation about any of
those would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Geysers mailing list
Geysers at wwc.edu