[Geysers] Constrictions, bubbles, and pressure

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Mon Mar 20 23:25:18 PST 2006

Here is an interesting experiment.  I believe it shows that when a bubble
rises through a constriction in
a geyser system, the pressure drops briefly.  If the pressure drops, the
boiling rate should increase, and
this might trigger an eruption.

1) Obtain 4 feet of tygon tubing, surgical tubing, or similar material.
2) Fill it with water.
3) Get a bubble situated in the middle of the tubing section.
4) Now hold both ends open, vertical, and next to each other.  The bubble will
rise up one side of the U
tube.
5) The water level in the side containing the bubble will be highest.
6) Pinch the tubing above the bubble so that the bubble must flow through the
constriction on its way
to the surface.
7) Note that the water levels change while the bubble is flowing through the
constriction.  The low side
gets lower, but it rebounds once the bubble has passed through.

I suspect this last observation means that the pressure dropped while the
bubble moved through the
constriction.  Why this happens isn't clear to me.

I welcome explanations.

I must get back to doing something productive.

Have fun.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu