[Geysers] Geyser Report 3-19-06

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Mar 20 09:43:19 PST 2006

In a message dated 3/19/2006 9:03:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com writes:

Grotto-I  saw something I have never seen before at Grotto today.  Grotto was
 definitely post marathon and had not erupted yet at 0845.  The pressure
pool and Grotto Fountain kept filling and dropping until 1116, when Grotto
Fountain finally started.  After 21 minutes, it stopped.  Grotto  NEVER erupted!
The Fountain was a typical 25-35 foot eruption, but  Grotto just sat there.
Over the next hour South Grotto Fountain erupted  every 7-14 minutes.  At 1327
Grotto Fountain started again.  This  time Grotto erupted (start at 1338).
Grotto Fountain lasted 18 minutes  and reached 25-35 feet as before.  When I left
the basin at 1905, Grotto  was still in eruption. Spa was in overflow and
looked ready to start  erupting.

this sounds quite a lot like the action we saw a time or two last summer,
which I reported at the time as "odd behavior." The main difference is that we
did not then have a non-Grotto eruption of Grotto Fountain, but we did have it
 with numerous "false starts" and a series of short intervals by S Grotto
Fountain. Anyway, nifty. Thanks Mike.