[Geysers] Caldera Unrest

Janet Chapple jochapple at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 20 22:00:55 PST 2006

Jeff--

I knew I'd read about this recently, and tonight I came across one
source (though maybe a different one). Surely more than one person
noticed the flooding in the southern part of the lake.

Here is a quote from:

Prof. Robert Smith’s lecture to a Yellowstone staff audience. The
entire talk is transcribed at:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/nature/sciencetalks/transcriptsmith.htm

(Title: Yellowstone: Plumes, Plums, Norris Disturbance, and Scoping the
Earth.
Date: March 2004)

"In my GS-0 days (crowd laughs), in 1956 I was stationed at Peale
Island and this is a picture taken off the veranda of Peale Island
looking south toward Grouse Creek, and there was a boat dock there.
That boat dock was out of water most of the summer, always was for me.
Coming back in 1973 with Ken Dean, a biologist (he’s doing stomach
sampling of trout), I was worried about the fact that all these trees
were dying. A sinking shoreline inundates the trees. This was the key
that says, “Hey guys, Yellowstone Lake is not what we think it is, it’s
not static.”

"I got these pictures from Bill Romme just a year ago, and I went back
and looked at areas around the southeast arm—here’s site one, and these
trees had all been inundated and killed by 1983; here’s site 2, this is
now an island and it used to be peninsula on the maps (these were taken
in the fall); site 3 right here. He tells me there was a bout a half a
meter of water or more that inundated these portions of the shoreline
that he measured at the time, but he was doing other studies, and
really didn’t make a big point of this until he saw my dock and he
said, “Hey, here’s something that correlates. I’ve been looking at
these same phenomenon from the standpoint of the sunken tree, or the
fish being killed near the trees at the shoreline.”

"What happens is, if you take a water body here and lift it up on the
north end, it’s going to tilt on the south end, and there are the trees
that get inundated, something on the northwest side is lifting them up.
This northwest side, of course, is essentially the caldera and we are
looking at the effect of the bathtub ring."

------