[Geysers] Geyser Report 3-19-06

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sun Mar 19 20:14:42 PST 2006

I spent the entire day in the Upper Basin.  Weather for spring wasn't too
bad, with a high in the mid 30's and a couple of snow flurries.  There is
currently from 2-4 feet in the Upper Basin, depending on where you are.
There are also 2 bison carcasses in the basin-one at the trailhead to Geyser
Hill behind Old Faithful and the other on the back of Giant's platform
between Bijou and the river.  No signs of bears yet but the wolves are in
the basin.

Tardy was active every time I went by.  I did not see Penta or Churn erupt.

Castle was 1232ns, major eruption with full steam phase.

Grand was 1307ns with 2 bursts.

Oblong erupted at 1350.

Giant had many hot periods today.  The marathon recovery hot period took
place before I got into the basin.  I would guess it happened around 0400.
I saw hot periods at:

            0855ie, d>3m

            1100, d=4m 49s

            1244, d=5m 00s

            1421, d=3m 13s

            1559, d=1m 43s (Feather only)

            No more hot periods due to Grotto Marathon (as of 1905)

Grotto-I saw something I have never seen before at Grotto today.  Grotto was
definitely post marathon and had not erupted yet at 0845.  The pressure pool
and Grotto Fountain kept filling and dropping until 1116, when Grotto
Fountain finally started.  After 21 minutes, it stopped.  Grotto NEVER
erupted!  The Fountain was a typical 25-35 foot eruption, but Grotto just
sat there.  Over the next hour South Grotto Fountain erupted every 7-14
minutes.  At 1327 Grotto Fountain started again.  This time Grotto erupted
(start at 1338).  Grotto Fountain lasted 18 minutes and reached 25-35 feet
as before.  When I left the basin at 1905, Grotto was still in eruption. Spa
was in overflow and looked ready to start erupting.

Riverside erupted at 1246-overflow was at least 94 minutes.

Fan and Mortar are still marked.

MK