[Geysers] Morning and other stuff

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sat Mar 18 17:02:07 PST 2006

Great news here!

After visiting the area today is was very evident that Morning had indeed
erupted in the recent past.  The large snow mound that was up to its crater
is gone, the sinter basin and runoff channel has been scoured clean, and
vegetation in the area has been killed recently by runoff.  None of this was
evident when Morning was reported in mid-January.

Fountain is currently active.  I arrived at the area at 1325.  Spasm was
empty but Jet was erupting every 6-9 minutes.  Both Morning and Fountain
were about 6 feet down in their basins.  At 1418 Spasm filled and had some
jets as high as 15 feet.  Fountain started at 1430 with a duration of 34
minutes.

I was briefly in the Upper Basin.  Giant has not erupted yet and it appeared
Grotto was in the early stages of a marathon eruption at 1200.  The marker
was still on Fan and Mortar as well.

More soon!

MK