[Geysers] Jamie Espy

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Thu Mar 16 07:26:01 PST 2006

Dear Sonya Puckett:

Yes, I know of Jamie Espy. He was an employee of Hamilton Stores for a very
long time during those decades you mention. I knew of him, because my
friend Sam Martinez, a geyser enthusiast, was friends with him and used to
talk about him. As I recall, Jamie wrote some information papers about
Yellowstone's geysers, but I never knew of any actual books. Perhaps I'm
misremembering, but I'm pretty sure I learned of Jamie from Sam.

Del Abelein, a fellow employee of Hamilton Stores, knew Jamie fairly well
and has written a wonderful reminiscence about Hamilton Stores and his time
of working there in which Jamie is prominently mentioned. I have two e-mail
addresses for Del. They are  dabelein at pocketmail.com and
dabelein at myexcel.com should you wish to write to him and to ask him to send
you an electronic copy of his interesting reminiscences.

I am also placing this letter on the listserver of GOSA, the Geyser
Observation and Study Association in hopes that Sam Martinez or another
geyser enthusiast who knew Jamie will respond to you. I would be interested
to learn of any geyser writings of Jamie's that you may learn of. We would
certainly like to place copies of them here in the Yellowstone National
Park Research Library, should they exist.

Sincerely,

Lee Whittlesey
Historian, National Park Service
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming-Montana-Idaho

                      "Sonya H.
                      Puckett"                 To:       yell_visitor_services at nps.gov
                      <drmomp at hotmail.c        cc:
                      om>                      Subject:  Jamie Espy

                      03/01/2006 10:49
                      PM EST

You had an employee, Jamie Espy, who worked @ YNP in the 50's & 60's
(deceased-1967) & while there, he wrote a book or books about YNP, I think
about the geyser's.  He was my school teacher & a dear friend.  I would
like to purchase his books or find where I can obtrain them before I visit
YNP in May.  Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Sonya H. Puckett, M.D.

2608 Rochelle Drive

McKinney, TX 75070