[Geysers] Skinny Man Geyser

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 14:26:02 PDT 2006

By a bit of serendipity, today I had to shuttle Jim Holstein in a company
van to Grant Village. While enroute, I asked him if he was familiar with "Skinny
 Man Geyser." His answer was: "Yes, except it's supposed to be "Skinny Guy
Geyser." And, he said, it was named by Doug Holstein.

Later, at Grand, I saw Doug. He said that it was actually named by a member
of a tour group, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and that the name really was simply
"Skinny Geyser." The name was because of the narrowness of the erupted column,
 which additionally is a very thin mix of steam and water.

So now the question is: How did a name, invented by a single tour group,  get
into the park's jargon? And in any case, what should be the "acceptable"
form of the name?

Scott Bryan

P.S. Today the vent appeared to be empty. Hillside was overflowing. Lone
Pine was overflowing. Occasional erupted.