[Geysers] Miscellaneous geyser report

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Fri Jun 16 16:44:18 PDT 2006

Here's my last post for this trip.

On Friday June 9th, I had a drive by sighting of Mercury Geyser at the
Biscuit Basin trailhead.  There seemed to be more volume to the eruption
than I remember before but since my trip was a short one I didn't get to
spend more time there or get a closed interval on it.

Chromatic was in overflow all the time I was in the park (6/9-6/13).

Bulger Geyser was having a lot of small splashes and I saw one major on
6/10, duration >5m.

Up at the Grand group, On 6/11, West Triplet erupted at 2047 for less than 1
minute then drained.  Two minutes after West Triplet, the Sputniks erupted
at 2049 throwing up black water for less than a minute before they stopped
too.  Then Grand erupted 17 minutes after the Sputniks at 2106, G1Q.  One
other day (I can't find it in my notes) Turban had a 26m interval and then a
28m interval that lead to Grand's eruption.  Is this a D1D0 eruption?

On 6/12 I went to watch Fountain and saw fairly 'normal' behavior (Spasm
erupting and Fountain started from a fairly high pool level).  Jet intervals
were long (17, 20, and 15m) prior to Fountain at 1135, d-34m.  Jets
intervals dropped to 2-4 minutes once Fountain started.  Clepsydra's steam
vent was active at 1152 till 1219 (10 minutes after Fountain finished).
Clepsydra then paused for 4 minutes at 1226 (17 minutes after Fountain
ended).  Mornings Thief was active during Fountains eruption and it was hard
to see due to the wind direction.  The biggest bursts I saw were about 10'.

In Biscuit Basin, I saw one 89m closed interval for Silver Globe Slit
Geyser.  The durations were 3m and 4m20s.  Avoca Spring was active,
continuously splashing within the crater and throwing up thin spikes of
water up to about 8' sometimes.  Hard to photograph due to the steam and
small amount of water it was spitting out.  I watched it for over 2 hours
with no significant increase or decrease in activity.

Oblong was quite frequent for the whole trip, with the shortest intervals
around 3 hours and most less than 5.  So as I was at Giant a lot I got to
see a couple of Oblongs close up most days.

That's it until September.  It was nice to get a short trip to Yellowstone,
but as always it was not long enough!

See you on the boardwalks Labor Day weekend.

Graham.